In any given year, 1 in 5 Canadians experiences a mental illness or addiction problem (Source: CAMH).
By the time Canadians reach 40 years of age, 1 in 2 have-or have had-a mental illness (Source: CAMH).
Given the prevalence of mental illness among adults, it is likely that supervisors will mange an employee experiencing mental illness at some point during their careers. Supervisors cannot be expected to be mental health experts, however it is prudent for employers to equip supervisors with tools and resources they need to support employees on their mental health journey.
Reasons Why You Need to invest in Mental Health Training for Supervisors
- Investing in mental health is good for your bottom line.
- Ensuring the mental health of employees is not only the right thing to do; it can have a positive impact on employee productivity. Having supervisors trained in mental health awareness can enable them to be more engaged with the mental health needs of their employees. This can lead them to put safeguards in place to protect employees’ mental health. For example, supervisors can be more aware of the impact of workload or workplace stressors that could be generating anxiety within an employee and create strategies to mitigate the stressors that could be inhibiting the employee's performance.
- Trained supervisors can also be more effective in managing issues of absenteeism or presenteeism that are related to mental health.
- Supportive supervisors can facilitate a faster return to work.
- Mental illnesses are complex. When employees experience a mental health crisis that requires them to take off of work, a supervisor trained in mental health wellness can:
- Advise employees to seek professional help sooner and potentially avert a more serious intensity of the mental illness.
- Decrease stigmatization of the employee experiencing mental illness.
- Create a supportive work environment that facilitates a successful return to work during recovery.
- Be more confident in their own skills and conversations with employees around mental health/illness.
- Creating a culture of mental wellness is good for your employer brand.
- Employees are motivated to work for an employer with a strong employer brand. A company that promotes mental wellness through supervisor training and implementing other strategies to promote mental wellness is creating a work environment that attracts and retains top talent. This is what can set you apart as an employer of choice.
Practical and useful training for your supervisors will be one of the smartest investments you make. It will result in a dedicated, passionate, understanding and productive workforce.
You’re Ready to Train Your Supervisors, But Where Do You Start?
With so many training options out there, it can be difficult deciding which one is the best for you. Focus on what you want the learning outcomes for your supervisors to be.
Take the time to plan out all the steps before hand. This will ensure that you are using your resources most efficiently while getting the results you want. Sometimes the first steps can be the most difficult. Contact Essential HR today to discuss how we can help you achieve your desired training results.